- Teach the importance of good nutrition, and help your children establish healthy eating habits. The more your child understands about nutrition, the more excited he will be about eating healthy.
- Nutrients are important, but portion size matters too.
- Half of your child’s plate should be fruits and vegetables.
- Choose fresh foods over highly processed foods.
- How you cook and prepare foods can affect the nutritional value. For example, try grilling, steaming, baking, or broiling vegetables instead of frying or boiling them.
- It’s not just food that’s important. Drink water or low-fat milk instead of sugary, sweetened drinks.
- Different foods provide different nutrients, so make sure your child gets a good variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Find nutritious foods that children enjoy.
- Try fruit for dessert.