- Semolina/Rava – 2 cups
- Sour yogurt – 2 ½ cups
- Grated carrots – 4 spoons
- Grated coconut – 3 spoons
- Handful of peas
- One green chilly chopped
- Ginger grates – Half spoon
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Baking soda (optional)
South India being a home of “Idli” and “ Dosa” is famous for its goodness. You do not have to stick to the traditional way of preparing idli and dosa, they can be cooked in many varieties keeping the tradition form as the base. Rava Idli is one such quick and easy breakfast recipe. Instantly rava idli batter can be prepared without any grinding work and soft spongy idli is cooked on steaming. It is healthy and nutritious and a perfect start for your day. Thanks to our country which has diversity of cuisine in every religion and region because of which we enjoy different tastes of food.
- Take a clean deep vessel; add semolina and yogurt to form a batter. Mix them well so that semolina does not form any lumps.
- To this batter add grated carrots, grated coconut, ginger grates, coriander chops, peas, green chilli, asophatida and salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients proportionally.
- In a deep pan, heat oil for seasoning. Once hot, add mustard seeds to splitter and fry channa dal and urad dal to turn golden. Switch off the flame and do not burn the ingredients.
- Add the seasoned ingredients to the prepared batter. Mix well and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- The batter consistency should be neither thick nor watery. You can add water accordingly to bring the perfect idli batter.
- Include a pinch of baking soda only if the yogurt is not sour. Otherwise sour yogurt is sufficient for bringing puffiness in the Idli.
- Now pour the batter in the greased idli mould and steam cook it for 15 minutes. Switch off and collect the idli in a container.
- Spicy Rava Idli is ready.
- Serve them hot with coriander or coconut chutney.
- You can add any of your favourite vegetables and spices and make your own version of Rava Idli for your healthy breakfast.